|Job Title||EMS Operations Manager*|
|Location||Maywood,IL*||*Position is based out of Maywood, IL|
General Summary: Responsible for overseeing the day to day functions of the operations department including EMS, NEV and lab services and to work with the Communication and Marketing staff to ensure optimal performance and customer satisfaction. Additionally the Operations Manager will work with the Operations Supervisors to develop, implement, and maintain necessary reports and documentation to ensure compliance with established operational goals and objectives. This position will also team with the operations supervisory personnel to respond to incidents as required to assure minimum disruption of service.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
- Develop and implement marketing plans in conjunction the company and joint-venture partner and/or strategic business client Marketing Department.
- Interact with community and oversee account maintenance and public relations to promote the business unit as a positive corporate citizen.
- Pursue avenues to enhance relations with other regional health care providers and municipal agencies to further expand operations.
- Ensure that all efforts are being exercised to bill and collect potential income for services rendered in conjunction with the collections staff.
- Regularly review vendors to ensure that procurements are being made utilizing the most cost-effective purchasing strategies.
- Assist in developing, implementing and achieving capital and operating budgets.
- Exercise and enforce appropriate financial controls in all aspects of conducting daily business, including but not limited to, the review and approval of all daily operating expenses within the approved budget and utilization of established procedures for any and all disbursements and adhere to all cash management policies.
- Ensure attendance, tardy records and certifications are monitored for all operations employees and implement timely action by the Operations Supervisors consistent with Operations policies, as well as review and approval of bi-weekly payroll.
- Perform personnel functions including, but not limited to, hiring according to the position control, oversite of all aspects of disciplinary action, including terminations in conjunction with Corporate HR and performance reviews.
- Assure appropriate levels of staffing for the operations departments. Work with appropriate Supervisors in filling any vacant shifts in a manner which will minimize overtime.
- Process and forward necessary insurance claims, including Workers Compensation, to the appropriate agencies in a timely manner.
- Coordinate process and follow up on all risk management incidents in conjunction with the legal and corporate risk management departments.
- Oversee all support staff and collaborate with communications department to provide effective and efficient allocation, and reallocation, of resources.
- Provide detailed reports as assigned to the executive team or others as designated by the Executive Management Team.
- Coordinate, process and follow-up on all risk management incidents.
- Coordinate and attend daily/weekly meetings with operations and communications department personnel to ensure operational concerns are communicated and resolutions addressed.
- Inspect physical plant regularly to ensure the safety of all employees.
- Meet and communicate regularly with Operation Leadership Operations on any and all operational issues, including the management contract, that may be considered a potentially damaging to the relationship with Operations or joint venture clients.
- Coordinate and attend all specified meetings and functions as specified by the joint-venture partner and/or strategic business client and senior leadership including monthly revenue cycle advisory committee, quality improvement and compliance council, executive team, medical command, and critical business indicators committee, etc.
- Coordinate afternoon operational meetings to ensure the following days operational needs can be addressed based on scheduled deployment and resource availability.
- Maintain all equipment, medical, portable, rolling stock or any other property of the organization/department in an acceptable condition and provide asset management for all capital equipment.
- Ensure that vehicles are well maintained and stocked as in guidelines adopted by the appropriate State Department of Public Safety.
- Work with the appropriate supervisors/managers to determine when additional vehicles are necessary to facilitate daily call volume, or when to reduce deployed vehicles during low volume, to guarantee optimal response times and efficient utilization.
- Ensure thorough investigation of all reported incidents or aberrations from current policies and procedures. Administer disciplinary action, if necessary, in a timely manner consistent with current policies and procedures.
- Maintain compliance with all medical control, clinical quality expectations and state and local reporting requirements.
- Ensure proper insurance coverages in the following areas: property liability, regular excess and umbrella, automobile, etc. Assure competitive pricing and accurate and complete coverage.
- Maintain a road ready vehicle, and road crew uniforms, at the Operations headquarters for the sole purpose of rapid deployment of the Operations Management team including the Operations Manager.
- Assist in the deployment of on duty road personnel in clean, fueled and stocked vehicles throughout the system.
- Prepare, monitor and maintain effective deployment strategies that meet or exceed budget targets and high-performance EMS benchmarks.
- Monitor emergent/non-emergent radio and telephone traffic, as applicable, to ensure professionalism of traffic and consistent utilization of applicable policies/procedures.
- Inspect physical plant regularly to ensure cleanliness, the safety of all employees is being maintained and the corporate image is supported.
- Develop, implement and monitor policies and procedures that directly impact the ambulance industry.
- Provide industry expertise and opinions that enhance the overall success of medical and non-medical transportation or logistics for the joint-venture partner and/or strategic business client.
- Interact with employees to assure that lines of communications remain open at all times.
- Exhibit excellent customer service skills and behaviors toward internal and external customers while maintaining a personal commitment to the organization’s core values.
- Adhere to departmental customer service, compliance standards, code of conduct and performance metrics.
- Demonstrates personal commitment to the Organization’s core values through active involvement in the performance improvement process.
- Demonstrates safe work practices and attitudes, follows safety rules, works to prevent unsafe conditions and behaviors, and participates in organizational and departmental safety programs.
- Carry out other duties as assigned and in compliance with management agreement between the company and the joint-venture partner and/or strategic business client.
- Maintain requirements necessary for CAAS accreditation compliance.
- Ensure daily completion of “end of shift” reports by Supervisors and provide follow-up as needed.
Knowledge, Skills And Abilities Required:
- Minimum Education: Associates Degree or equivalent and working towards a Bachelors Degree, preferably in Business Administration or be actively working to obtain such a degree.
- Minimum Work Experience: Minimum 1-year employment within Community EMS or affiliated company preferred. Must be extremely proficient in EXCEL and WORD. Must have a thorough understanding of Michigan Operations (or affiliate). Must be able to understand and speak English fluently and clearly.
- Contact With Others: Managers, peers, subordinates, clients, patients and families, medical personnel. Must be able to speak and write English clearly and fluently. Must have good written communication skills
- Analytical Demands: Problem solving skills, ability to analyze data, conduct investigations on matters which could result in employee discipline.
- Certification, Licensure, Registration: Valid driver's license and satisfactory driving record. State licensed EMT-B (EMT-P preferred), current ACLS and CPR.
- Physical Effort: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to use hands and fingers, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Read letters/numbers from a computer screen. Judge distances from a computer screen map. Read colored items on graphs and computer screens.
- Work Environment: Normal office environment. Generally good working conditions in an office setting. Frequent interruptions, work pressure and irregularities in work schedule are expected. Employee is subject to continually changing tasks with continually changing deadlines. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to attend both regular and unscheduled meetings.
Equipment Used: Various office equipment including copy and fax machines, Windows-based computer systems, cell phones, company radio system, and MDTs, EPCRs, and all applicable medical equipment to licensure level.
- Reports to: Vice President of Operations
- Supervises: Operations Supervisors and Staff
The above primary job duties and responsibilities describe the level and nature of work performed by the employees assigned to this job. The description should not be construed as an exhaustive listing of all job duties and responsibilities performed by this job.
Community EMS utilizes Direct Deposit for compensation. As a condition of employment, all employees must designate a financial institution equipped to accept direct deposits and the number of the account into which the deposit is to be made.